Friday, July 31, 2026

Bit of History - July 29, 2026


BIT OF HISTORY: From the Local Mention column of the July 27, 1893 edition of the Ridgeway Journal:

The editor, C. M. Jaqua, complained that “Very little is going on in the news line. The farmers are too busy in the harvest fields.”

The Christian Church bell was “out of place and those desiring to attend services there have to go by time instead of by the bell.”

The school teachers were expected to arrive in Ridgeway within a week. “They will be met at the depot by the committee and shown to suitable boarding places.”

Mrs. C. M. Jaqua, who wrote the Women’s Department column, had sage advice on the care and use of flat irons and how to economize during food preparation to get as much as you can out of the food. Among her suggestions: Remove as little skin as possible when peeling vegetables (“Taking a thick cut often carries away the best part, as is the case with potatoes”). “Apples are often costly”, so carefully pare and core them and cook the clean cores and skins to make jelly or “with sugar, make a fine syrup for layer cake and to use with warm bread.” The peelings could also be used to make vinegar. “Children should be taught to break only the bread they will eat.” She had lots of ideas for using “boiled meat” as well and wrote that “all meat broths, except from pickled meats, should be made into food.” It’s quite interesting reading.

There was a long article about the success of the W. C. T. U. picnic in the City Park which started with a parade and continued with a “literary program”, an address by Rev. Burrows of Cainsville and a speech by temperance orator Prof. Gantz: “He makes as good a temperance talk as we ever heard and when he comes to Ridgeway is always assured of a large audience.”

(The front page of Ridgeway’s earliest editions of the Journal was typically only ads and national stories. To get to the good, local gossip, you had to go to the Local Mentions page for Ridgeway. It is also where you would find the timetable for the C. B. & Q. trains.)








Friday, July 24, 2026

Bit of History -- July 22, 2026

Some glimpses into life in a small, rural town on the front page of the Ridgeway Journal dated July 23, 1931:

The NW Missouri Fox Hunters Association was having trouble deciding on a date for their annual hunt.  Traditionally, the hunt was held two weeks before the State Fair in Bethany and “the expense is always an item”.  “The business men of this city, the fox hunters as well as the town have always helped, but others feel the task is too great to undertake under present conditions.”

The oat crop was expected to be a good one that year.  Frank Harrison reported that he got better than 50 bushel to the acre on his twenty acres of oats.  Dean Leazenby reported the loss of a 200 lb hog as the result of “rifle shot, presumably by some of the small boys about town.” The Ridgeway ball team played New Hampton’s team in an eleven inning game, but lost the battle.  They were a newly organized team and practiced on a diamond on the Dean Grinstead farm.  

The public well located under the city bandstand was condemned again and the handle removed “for safety’s sake”.  The well had just been cleaned and declared pure a few months earlier and “we are at a loss to know just why and how the water could become unfit in such a short time.”  

The editors had a snarky comment regarding the weeds in town:  “We are mightily afraid a big robbery is going to take place in Ridgeway before frost comes to mow down the many big weed patches on the vacant lots, streets and alleys.  We will not mention all of them for it might give some bandit a tip as so where to hide.”










Friday, July 17, 2026

Bit of History -- July 15, 2026

In the July 21, 1927 edition of the Ridgeway Journal, an entire page was devoted to printing the details of the proposal to sell the Ridgeway Light Plant to Missouri Power & Light for the “sum of $30,000”. “This means securing 24-hour service to patrons and this property to become taxable, and cost of light service not in excess of present rates.” There were several ordinances for residents to consider and a notice of a special election to be held on August 9.

The light plant, built in 1914 and operated by the city, made a small profit each month, but not enough to replace equipment as needed. The sale meant that residents would enjoy 24-hour service at the same rates they currently paid. The sale also meant that the city could pay off two loans totaling $19,000. The old Light Plant provided power to the city water pump and the street lights at no charge, but if the sale was approved by Ridgeway voters, “and these two services will run from ninety to over hundred a month under the new order of things if the plant is voted sold.”

The editors reminded voters to “read the ordinances carefully and play the cards anyway you choose when it comes time to vote. The proposition has two sides and it will soon be up to the voter which side he wants to win.”

The sale of the electric light plant was approved by Ridgeway voters 187 to 37. It still needed to be approved by the Public Service Commission before it could take effect. Mr. P. B Schuss, “one of the transmission company’s men” told the Journal that “the citizens of Ridgeway had done even more of a favor than they realized by voting the sale of the plant and that he was sure that would not have a future regret.” (Ridgeway Journal, August 11, 1927, p 1)







Friday, July 3, 2026

Bit of History -- July 1, 2026


Per the Ridgeway: Then and Now centennial book, Joe M. Peasley opened the first blacksmith shop in Ridgeway about 1880. First known as Peasley and Heizer, they built wagons, buggies and carriages and did general blacksmithing and horseshoeing. They also built school wagons in later years . From 1890 to 1892, he partnered with J. B. “Jack” Mirgon. When their partnership broke up, he renamed the business as Peasley & Co and later as Peasley Manufacturing. His shop was a large two story building. “The lower part was the blacksmith shop and the upper part, which had a ramp, housed the wagon, buggy and repair shop”. It was located long Cedar Street, on the west side of the alley behind City Hall. Joe Peasley remained in business until the 1920s.

One of Peasley’s wagons is still in existence. It was owned by the family of Dale Pontius for many years and was sold to Roger Bayless in 2016. It can be pulled by horses or a vehicle. The wagon is wooden, painted green and has Peasley written on the side. Look to see if Roger brings it to the Fourth of July parade this Saturday!